Failed to connect to MySQL: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
Energy Workforce Group | Advanced NDT Inspection - O&G NDT, NDE Inspection
Penetrant Testing (PT)
- Penetrant Testing, or PT, is a nondestructive testing method that builds on the principle of Visual Inspection.
- PT increases the “seeability” of small discontinuities that the human eye might not be able to detect alone.
How it works:
- In penetrant testing, a liquid with high surface wetting characteristics is applied to the surface of a component under test.
- The penetrant “penetrates” into surface breaking discontinuities via capillary action and other mechanisms.
- Excess penetrant is removed from the surface and a developer is applied topull trapped penetrant back the surface.
- With good inspection technique, visual indications of any discontinuities present become apparent.
- Relative ease of use.
- Can be used on a wide range of material types.
- Large areas or large volumes of parts/materials can be inspected rapidly and at low cost.
- Parts with complex geometries are routinely inspected.
- Indications are produced directly on surface of the part providing a visual image of the discontinuity.
- Initial equipment investment is low.
- Aerosol spray cans can make equipment very portable.